Creating a Visual Identity Without a Huge Budget
Creating a Visual Identity Without a Huge Budget
This is probably one of the areas where I can be the most useful to other creators.
I've always had to find inexpensive ways to create online. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to do what I do. As an artist, you learn pretty quickly that having a creative skill doesn't necessarily mean people are lining up to pay you for it.
I've been doing art all my life, but I still wouldn't describe myself as some extraordinary creator.
What I am is functional.
I have enough knowledge and skills to create and maintain a strong brand presence, even as a one-person operation. And over the years, I've also developed enough business knowledge to understand how to take the things I do know and eventually leverage them into something much bigger.
That combination has been extremely useful.
You don't necessarily need a huge budget to start creating a recognizable presence online.
You need to start.
There are more free and inexpensive resources available than most people realize. Sometimes you just have to keep digging until you find them.
And sometimes you find someone else who already knows where to look.
That's one of the reasons I enjoy sharing what I've learned. I don't know everything. Nobody does. But if I've spent years figuring out how to accomplish something without spending a fortune, there's a pretty good chance someone else can benefit from that knowledge too.
The important thing, in my opinion, is not letting years go by while waiting for everything to be perfect.
You can start with what you have.
You can experiment with different graphics, colors, photographs, backgrounds, fonts, templates and other visual elements. You can learn what works together and what doesn't. You can gradually develop a style simply by creating things and paying attention to what you like.
You don't have to figure out your entire visual identity on day one.
You can build it.
That's essentially what I've been doing with ANNI STAR MEDIA.
ASM started with an idea and a shoestring budget.
And when I say shoestring, I mean it.
So far, the things actually purchased by ANNI STAR MEDIA have basically been some basic equipment, internet and a domain name.
That's it.
Everything else has been built from knowledge, creativity, experimentation, available resources and a willingness to keep figuring things out.
That doesn't mean everything I've created is perfect.
Far from it.
There are plenty of times when I look at something I've made and think, "Yeah... I can do better than that."
But that's part of creating.
You make something.
You learn from it.
You make something else.
Eventually, you start recognizing your own style.
And that's where a visual identity begins to take shape.
For me, the goal isn't necessarily to make every single piece of content look spectacular. It's to create something that feels like it belongs to the same world.
That's where consistency becomes useful.
The colors, atmosphere, typography, imagery and overall feeling start working together. Even when the individual pieces aren't identical, they can still feel connected.
And you can do a surprising amount of that with inexpensive or free tools.
The trick is knowing what you want to accomplish and being willing to learn how to get there.
Sometimes that means learning the software yourself.
Sometimes it means finding a free tutorial.
Sometimes it means finding a template and modifying it.
Sometimes it means asking someone who already knows how to do something.
And sometimes it means hiring someone else when you've reached the point where your own time would be better spent somewhere else.
There is nothing wrong with starting small.
Actually, starting small can teach you quite a bit.
ANNI STAR MEDIA is still growing. We're nowhere near the final version of what I envision the company becoming.
But that's okay.
The foundation is being built.
The next stage of ANNI STAR MEDIA's presence in the multimedia industry is just around the corner, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.
For now, I'm still doing what I've always done:
Finding ways to create something out of what I have.
And honestly, that's a pretty good place to start.
Comments
Post a Comment